Carlton R Barkhurst Fellowship for Graduate Students
—BARKHURST AWARDS FOR THE UPCOMING SPRING SEMESTER—
The Office of Graduate Education is pleased to announce a new initiative intended to help Ph.D. candidates finish their degrees in a timely manner. The Carlton R. Barkhurst Dissertation Fellowship is made possible by a generous gift from the late Irene Ahlbom Barkhurst.
Up to eight Barkhurst Dissertation Fellowships will be awarded each academic year. Awards will be limited to a single semester of funding, either fall or spring. The single-semester awards will comprise of the following:
- Fellowship of $8,572.50
- 1 Credit Hour of Tuition
- Optional Student Fee Package
- Student Health Insurance (if selected)
- Ph.D. candidate (preliminary exam passed within four years prior to Anticipated Date of Graduation). Other graduate or professional students are not eligible.
- Unmet financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to Applying for Financial Aid for more information on how to submit a FAFSA.
- Anticipated Graduation Date form is on file with the Office of the Registrar.
- Anticipated Graduation Date is no sooner than December of this year and no later than August of next year.
- Must be eligible for the Optional Student Fee Package (an approved Optional Student Fee Package form must be on file with the Office of the Registrar before the Fellowship begins).
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Degree of unmet financial need.
- Academic record and advisor’s recommendation.
- Likelihood of completing degree by end of Barkhurst Fellowship semester.
Barkhurst Fellows may not hold any form of employment with the University of Wyoming during their fellowship semester. Furthermore, as fellowship recipients, Barkhurst Fellows are not employees and will not have any work expectations associated with their fellowship other than conducting their own research and writing their dissertations.
A nomination of an eligible PhD student ideally should come from the student’s dissertation advisor, but could come from another faculty member. The nomination must include a letter of nomination and recommendation.
Applications and a faculty submitted letter of nomination and recommendation must be completed by October 31st for Barkhurst Fellowship consideration.
The application process for Fall 2021 will open January 1, 2021.