English Department Travel Grant Application
This application is for travel during Summer 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Welcome to the English Department’s travel grant application page. The English Department has several generous funds to support English department graduate students and undergraduate majors to travel for the purposes of: study abroad experiences, conference presentations and attendance, and research-related travel. A study abroad project must be institutionally recognized by UW. The funds are:
- Eleanor M. Kambouris Student Excellence Fund
- English Study Abroad Scholarship Award
- Jane L. Tanner Study Abroad Award
- Janice H. Harris Excellence Fund
- Nanci and Sam Andrew English Department Graduate Studies Award
If anything in the application confuses you, please contact the English department at 766-6452 or email@example.com and we will put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions.
Travel awards in the English department are administered by the department’s scholarship committee.
There are two application deadlines each year, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 for these travel grants.
All travel grants are contingent on the proposed travel actually taking place; should travel be canceled for whatever reason, any disbursed funds must be returned. Recipients of either travel grants or merit awards may be required to send thank-you letters to the donors.
As a letter of support from a faculty member is required as part of the application, interested students should reach out as soon as possible to a faculty member who is familiar with your work in English and can write a brief letter in support of your application.
- College of Arts and Sciences, English
- Supplemental Questions
- Title of Study Abroad Course, Conference, Conference Presentation, and/or Research Project:
- Your role in the proposed travel (i.e. student in study abroad course, conference attendee/presenter, student researcher):
- Proposed dates of travel (be as specific as you can):
- Proposed location(s) of travel:
- Please upload a 1-page (single-spaced) personal statement that explains the nature of the travel experience you propose and your understanding of how the proposed travel will benefit you.
- Please provide the name and email address of a faculty member who has agreed to write you a brief letter of recommendation.
- Please provide as accurate an itemized budget as you can (we understand that if your travel is still months away, your budget figures may need to be estimates). Where appropriate, please provide:
- Accommodation costs
- Conference-related costs
- Meal costs
- Other expenses (specifying to the extent possible)
- Plane and ground transportation costs
- Total amount requested
- Tuition costs
- Please indicate whether you plan to seek additional funding towards this trip and, if so, where from, as well as the amount requested.
- Show 3 more