Arts and Sciences Summer Independent Study Awards for Undergraduate Students
*For 2019 ALL of the awards will be made to undergraduates.
(Please read carefully)
A limited number of awards, up to $3000.00 each, will be made to College of Arts and Sciences students for summer projects in research or creative endeavor individually conducted under sponsorship and with supervision of a faculty member.
The purpose of these awards is to encourage and assist students considering or beginning a research or creative activity in any discipline in the college. Preference will be given to projects which are:
• New or at seminal stages rather than established. The student’s own project rather than a segment of faculty research. If part of a student’s overall undergraduate research, the project can be part of a continuum of that research but must be a distinct project within that continuum.
• Capable of completion in one summer
• Able to identify specific activities that will take place
• Able to identify tangible outcome that documents successful completion of project. Examples include, but are not limited to, readings, recitals, reports, presentation to a department seminar or brown bag, etc.
ELIGIBILITY and REQUIREMENTS:
1. Recipients must be enrolled full-time, during the 2019 Spring Semester and enrolled for at least one credit hour during the 2019 Summer Semester, both in an academic major in the College of Arts and Sciences.
2. Previous recipients are not eligible.
3. Recipients are expected to work full time during the summer on their projects.
4. Recipients agree to submit a report summarizing their results by September 6, 2019.
5. Submission of a complete application
Deadline for applications: February 15, 2019
Announcement of Awards: March 15, 2019 (please do not make telephone inquiries before this date)
Research: Summer 2019
All recipients of a 2019 Summer Independent Study award are required to submit 3 things to the Dean’s office by Sept 6, 2019:
1. A final report by you the student (limited to one page)
2. A brief report by your project sponsor/mentor (a paragraph or two is all that is necessary)
3. Please be prepared to create a poster for presentation. The Arts and Sciences Deans Office will select certain recipients and ask for posters for presentation at the 2019 Honors Convocation.
DEADLINE: February 15, 2019 (LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND/OR SUPPORTING LETTERS ARE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION).
Questions concerning scholarships should be addressed to:
307-766-4106 (A&S room 114)